lunes, 29 de diciembre de 2008

Favourites 2008 [1]

So, keeping with the tradition of last year (hah) I have compiled my favourite albums/tracks of the year. I don't know if they are the best ones (unlikely) but I've definitely enjoyed listening to them throughout 2008 and I think it's a way to celebrate how good this year was, as for music releases. I still have a shitload (that's an understatement, really) of albums released this year that I need to spin them a few times (yay for only having time for myself during the holidays, hence the amount of blog entries). More good music is the whole point of it.. the more, the merrier.

There were also some albums I really enjoyed that I wasn't expecting to like at all. That includes Fast Times at Barrington High by The Academy Is, Pretty. Odd by Panic at the disco (thank you Kristen for both!) and Hold On Now Youngster... by Los Campesinos! I know, I know.. I'm weird.


There were also some albums that I got, listened and I regretted. That includes Coldplay's, The Last Shadow Puppets' album (such a disappointment) and CSS' album.

As I said, there were a lot of albums I liked this year, so many I wish I could name them all on the top spot. But worry not my dears, you are all winners to me. This will be a top 20 thing, and here's the first half

20. The Magnetic Fields - Distortion

I knew about The Magnetic Fields because once Ben Gibbard mentioned them somewhere, and they had a show in London when I was there but I didn't go because I wasn't really familiar with their music (and cause I'm really stupid obviously), and damn do I regret it now! I'm not sure what I like from this album. It takes me to a different world, it's just one of those albums I need to listen to in it's entirety to fully enjoy it. Will be on severe rotation in the following months, no doubt. California girls is just awesome and Too Drunk To Dream is hilarious, really. And I can see myself singing Zombie Boy a lot in the future. Love love love this.

19. Conor Oberst - Gentlemen's Pact EP

So I'm cheating and including two albums by the same guy. Take it as my version of Coldplay. This is a very short EP but it's really good. The song Gentlemen's Pact reminds me of old Bright Eyes, while there's a very funny rendition of Corina Corina. However, Breezy makes the EP worth the money (that is, if you could get your hands on one unlike me). It's just a really sad and emotional song that shows how Conor can really write amazing songs.

18. Chris Walla - Field Manual

I was interested in this album because it's Chris Walla from Death Cab for Cutie aaaaaand because I had heard a raw version of Sing Again and I was really curious as how a proper studio version would sound. While it took me a while to get used to that one, I really got to enjoy the album. It's not a great departure from the DCFC sound at all, but I think that it serves to enjoy Chris' voice and songwritting. It's Unsustainable and Our plans, collapsing are standout tracks. Top stuff

17. The Kooks - Konk

Yeah I like The Kooks, so what? This didn't do it for me as much as their first album in the long run, but I think it's easy going and enjoyable pop. It really got to my head and I must say the box or whatever it comes in (the edition with Rak ) is really nice actually. See The Sun is definitely my favourite of the album, along with Tick of time. I do must say that I hate "Do you Wanna" with a burning passion.

16. Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

This album is really unlike me. And I don't even remember why I got their stuff a couple of months ago. I think it's rather hypnotizing and catchy stuff! I really like So Haunted, Midnight Runner and Feel the Love. This is what I'd like to listen to in the club.. that if I ever went to clubs!

15. REM - Accelerate

Remember REM? They're back! In pog form! I love these guys and their new album is kicking. Kinda sad it didn't get enough attention really, I think it's a very solid album. Living well is the best revenge rocks basically, so does Hollow Man and Houston. I really like the album except I'm Gonna DJ, which I think was a poor choice to close the album.

14. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

So I guess if you haven't heard from these guys you've been living in a rock for over a year. And to think I only knew about them when I was in London! So I managed to get my hands on the CD and I'm glad I did! They have this um weird mix of sounds, between rock and electronic that I think sounds very well, or whatever really. And they're pretty good live as well! Kids and Pieces of What are my favourites no doubt.

13. We Are Scientists - Brain Thrust Mastery

Putting aside the pair of clowns these guys are (I mean it in a good way!) this album has some catchy tunes and a more dance-y side to WAS. I think it's like WAS trying to sound like the Killers but ending up sounding like... something else. I still like it! Impatience is one of my favourite tracks of the year.

12. Albert Hammond, Jr. - ¿Como te llama?

I love the Strokes and miss them dearly. But if that means I can have more Albert albums, then be my guest! His first album is one of my favourite albums ever, and this one didn't disappoint. It sounds a bit more.. rough I guess, but in a very charming way! Spooky Couch is one of the best instrumental tracks ever, really.. and Victory in Monterey is basically awesome. So for that, I'll excuse the poor Spanish in the album's title haha

11. Travis - Ode to J.Smith

I guess I wasn't expecting a new Travis album so soon, but here it is. So it's more like their first album (and really not like The Boy With No Name) but I bite, and I like it, a lot. They are showing they are not this soft stuff band and that they can actually be a bit raw and good. I bet these songs sound awesome live, I hope I get a chance to see that next year. Favourites include Something anything, Long way down and Song to self.

So that's the first half. Rest to follow...

Oh and I made a "sampler" here with the highlighted tracks. If anyone is interested in the songs/albums.

No hay comentarios: