miércoles, 31 de diciembre de 2008

Favourites 2008 [2]

Ok here's the second part of my favourites of the year.. etc etc. Just to clear it up, I have nothing against the New Year celebrations. I'm not into holidays at all, but this one isn't that bad. Thing is, when I look back at everything that has happened this year.. well it's kinda scary to be honest. So much has been going on and it's quite crazy to think everything will begin again. It rather scares me to know that I have no clue as what will happen in 2009, as I didn't know what'd happen in 2008. It was a good year tho, so a round of applause for it.

See you next year! And all the best :)

10. I'm from Barcelona - Who Killed Harry Houdini?

I love this band. They are upbeat, fun, melodic, cute, etc. I can't really describe them really. But I think they are absolutely awesome. Probably not the most known Swedish band out there, but definitely worth checking out. Headphones, Ophelia and Houdini are excellent examples of it. Um I uploaded this the other day for some friends, so this is the only album I uploaded in full. Hope you like it.

9. Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads

So yeah, I like Kaiser Chiefs, sue me. This one is, yet again, rather different from their previous album but I think it succeeds on getting the hooks and the catchy tunes. I think it's a really fun album and would love to see how the songs work live. My favourite Addicted to drugs, no doubt.

8. The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

Jack White is a genius (except that Bond track.. eek). Add Brendan Benson to that and it's a match made in heaven. I think this album is way better than their first one because it manages to keep you interested all through it. Consoler of the Lonely, You don't understand me and Many Shades of Black are tracks worth mentioning and listening!

7. Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger

This is just more piano driven rock/pop/whatever from Andrew McMahon & co. I think it's more powerful than their previous album even though I still don't really like the song Bloodshot. However songs like The Resolution and Caves really stand out. Beautiful stuff.

6. Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul

I find it kind of difficult to deal with reviewers and it was particularly the case with this album. So yeah, Oasis have really kept to their style for all these years, and I think it seems to work really well for them. However I feel it's different from their previous stuff, I feel it more mature than anything they've done in the past. Plus, the songs sound amazing live. I never thought I'd see the day when a Liam song would be my favourite on an Oasis album but it is! I'm Outta Time (yes, it's Liam trying to sound like John Lennon, again) is truly good, and my favourite along Falling Down.

5. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs

This one (like the next 3) could have been number 1. One of my favourite DCFC albums, it's such a complete album. I mean, it has everything I could've wanted from them. No Sunlight and Your new twin-sized bed are favourites that'll last.

4. Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue

Another alternative project. Jenny Lewis (from Rilo Kiley) really delivers with this album. I don't know if I like this one more than Rabbit Fur Coat (cause that's one of my favourite albums ever) but I can say this album has more of a 'kick' in it. The title track is absolutely amazing, as so is Carpetbaggers (with a special appearance from Elvis Costello).

3. Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

All I can say is GO and LISTEN. You won't regret it. This is really such a good album! So well constructed and full of magic. And you can tell they were having fun. Love at first listen really. Cape Cañaveral and Sausalito are my favourites, but the whole thing is really really good.


2. Keane - Perfect Symmetry

I'm not sure exactly why I liked this so much, even when my expectations were so high. I know that it is really different of their previous albums, and despite this was something that alienated many, I think it's what I liked about it the most. Currently You haven't told me anything is my favourite, but Better than this and Spiralling (ofc) are worth a listen.

1. The Killers - Day & Age

I don't think I even have to explain why this one is my top album of the year, everyone knows I absolutely love this band. It was quite worth the wait, and despite sounding so different to their previous album, I think they manage to get away with it. The sounds are so diverse and there's a mix of "serious" and "fun" songs, which I think lacked in their previous albums. It's kind of sad to not see it getting the reception I think it deserves. Anyway, This is your life is my favourite of the album, but Spaceman and Neon Tiger are worth checking out.

Songs.. blah blah... here

3 comentarios:

Mistake dijo...

Very good choices. I also love Carpetbaggers very much, even though I prefer Next Messiah and Jack Killed Mom =P
And Perfect Symmetry is actually a great album - my first one, but being a Keane fan, I am a little biased x)

steffi. dijo...

YOU HAVENT TOLD ME ANYTHING... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

ok i'll shut up now :P

Anónimo dijo...

uhh ahora escribes en inglés... al grano.. no estoy para nada de acuerdo con el lugar que le diste a oasis... jajaja